You might have heard of Clostridium difficile by its more frequently known nickname “C.diff.” It’s a bacteria frequently found in hospitals and long term care facilities. C.diff causes a host of symptoms that range from diarrhea to colitis (a life-threatening inflammation of the colon). It’s a well-known, dangerous infection.
An 82-year-old man died in the Alden Northmoor Rehab and Health Care Center in Chicago after suffering from multiple incidents of nursing home neglect. The cause of death was determined to be septic shock brought on by c.diff and pneumonia.
What qualifies the incident as nursing home neglect is not the fact that the bacteria exist because even in the best hospitals, homes, and kitchens, there is most likely some bacteria. Alden Northmoor Rehab and Health Care Center is no different. The nursing home neglect arises because the C.diff was diagnosed by a physician, medications were prescribed and allegedly administered, and yet there was no followup to determine whether or not the treatment was effective.
In fact, evidence indicates that the symptoms persisted for days after the treatment was completed, and yet no further action was taken. Two days after the treatment concluded the resident’s family members complained that his extremities were swollen and cold to the touch. Alden Northmoor employees responded by placing an additional blanket around the resident’s legs. Other symptoms also persisted.
Even as the resident went into shock, the employees of Alden Northmoor Rehab delayed contacting emergency services. When the man finally arrived at a Chicago area hospital, it was determined that he also had two undocumented bedsores on his feet.
If you have a loved one who you feel has been neglected in an Illinois nursing home or hospital, contact my law offices for a free and confidential evaluation of your case. The only way to stop nursing home neglect is to hold nursing homes responsible when they fail to protect the residents in their care.