How are nursing homes regulated? What are their duties and responsibilities? How are cases handled and proven? The Chicago based attorneys of Barry G. Doyle are experienced and focused on nursing home abuse cases. Check here our guidelines and links in order to document and illustrate your case. Our experienced lawyers will answer your questions in a free consultation.
Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- AARP Report on Nursing Home Lawsuits: AARP sponsored a study of nursing home litigation in Tennessee during the debate on capping non-economic damages in nursing home lawsuits. Among the study’s conclusions: damage caps do not help reduce litigation costs and that improving staffing levels at nursing homes and improving monitoring from the state would help improve the quality of care for nursing home residents.
- Guidelines for Prevention of Falls in Older Adults: The American Geriatrics Society issued a series of practice guidelines for preventing falls by senior citizens, a major issue in nursing home abuse and neglect cases.
- Illinois Citizens for Better Care: Chicago based advocacy group for improved care in Illinois nursing homes.
- Illinois Department of Public Health – Nursing Home Information: Access to information on all licensed Illinois Nursing Homes, including results of inspections and other key information concerning nursing homes in the State of Illinois.
- Illinois Nursing Home Complaints:The Illinois Nursing Home Complaint website provides a quick and easy way for those who believe they have experienced nursing home abuse and/or neglect to submit a complaint to the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH). It is an important resource to help promote better nursing home practice and fight nursing home abuse and neglect incidents.
- Illinois nursing home ombudsmen: Ombudsmen are intended to be advocates for the nursing home residents and their families and to assist them in resolving issues which may not justify legal action. There are regional ombudsmen throughout the State of Illinois who are available to assist you in resolving issues with nursing home care.
- National Citizens Coalition for Nursing Home Reform: Organization devoted to advocacy and protection of nursing home residents through legislative activity and consumer education.
- National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel: Professional panel that develops protocols for the prevention and treatment of pressure ulcers, otherwise referred to as decubitus ulcers or bed sores.
- National Seniors Citizens Law Center: Lobbying and advocacy organization which helps ensure that federal safety net programs in fact benefit seniors and other groups which are intended to benefit from them.